Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Tax time!

I turned 43 on 1/2.  It was a rather uneventful birthday.  Paul went back to work and I was home with Nathan.

The year started out rough for me.  My birthday was pretty depressing.  Then I had computer problems.  We had to basically wipe my computer clean and reload everything.  Luckily, it is working again, but it still seems to have some issues.  I think there is not enough memory to handle all of the pictures and graphics.  Also, if I have my computer on all day I find that it has trouble shutting down so it restarts.  To make matters worse, my Fitbit broke.  Like many people, one of my New Year's resolutions was to get healthier.  That was rather hard to do when my step calculator broke on me.  I got Fitbit to send a new one for free, but I was without a Fitbit for a couple of weeks.  Now it is tax time.  Oh how I hate doing our taxes!

I went to Tohono Chul Park and Tucson Botanical Gardens on 1/6.

Nathan had his annual vision appointment on 1/9.  The optometrist said he is getting slightly nearsighted as more and more kids are due to screen usage, in this case computer games for Nathan.  As a preventative measure to slow down the nearsightedness, they are prescribing kid's bifocals.  So Nathan now has a new pair of glasses.  He was told to wear them at home for a couple of weeks and then start wearing them to school.  We are hesitant about him wearing them to school because we are afraid they are going to get broke or lost.  We know how careless and irresponsible Nathan can be sometimes as many kids are at his age.  He is anxious to bring them to school, though.  He loves his new glasses.  He picked out the frames.  They were a little more expensive, but I wanted him to like them or he would not want to wear them.  They are from Nike with yellow and black stripes.

On Martin Luther King Day, 1/15, we went to Saguaro National Park since National Parks were free that day.  We did some light hiking and had a good time.  It was our first time exploring the park there.  I would like to go back in the Spring.

Nathan had his honors assembly on 1/17 where he got awarded for making honor roll the second quarter.  After that I went to Sweetwater Wetlands.

Nathan had his wellness visit with his pediatrician on 1/22.  He weighs 55 lbs which is only in the 40th percentile.  He is 50.8 in tall which is in the 53rd percentile.  He brought up how he has been having problems with his left leg.  He says that when he is standing in line at school after lunch to go back inside that his leg sometimes gives out and he falls.  It has been happening for a couple of months.  She examined his legs and determined he had abnormal reflexes and had trouble squatting.  We did a blood test and the results showed his thyroid was fine, his muscle enzymes or something like that was fine, but that his vitamin D level was very low.  She does not think that is the cause of his leg problem, but he is now on a vitamin D supplement.  We went back yesterday for a follow up.  He told her that he had one more incident with his leg since seeing her a couple of weeks ago.  His reflexes were once again abnormal, but he did a little better with his squats.  I mentioned that he does not get his legs up when he is kicking at Taekwondo.  He did fine with his kicks in front of her so maybe he is just being lazy at Taekwondo.  I also mentioned that he used to love running and was pretty good at it, but that now he does not like running as much because he gets tired.  She decided to get an x-ray of his left hip.  We did that right after seeing her so we are awaiting the results.  She also wants him to see a neurologist.  She said there is a rare condition with the tip of the spine being tethered.  They can do a x-ray/mri of the spine, but he would have to be perfectly still so for kids they usually have to knock them out first.  So that test is a last resort, but she wants to see what a neurologist says.  I have never seen what Nathan has described, but I just thought it had to do with his growth because he also gets growing pains in his legs at night sometimes, just like I did when I was a kid.  His pediatrician thinks it could be something more, though.  It could be nothing, but she wants to make sure.  She says she does not think it is diet related or due to his Taekwondo.

I went to Tohono Chul Park, Tucson Botanical Gardens and the Pima County Cooperative Extension Gardens on 1/25.

I went to Reid Park to see the ducks, Reid Park Zoo and back to the Pima County Cooperative Extension Gardens on 1/30.

On 2/1, I went to Tucson Botanical Gardens to see the Planters mobile!  Everybody says I am a nut!  That day, Nathan also tested for his yellow belt in Taekwondo.

Things have been so busy lately.  The holidays are the busiest.  Then I had to put all of the Christmas stuff back away.  It seems like I have been going back and forth to doctor appointments for myself and for Nathan.  I went to the gynecologist the end of last year and she wanted to see me back in 3 months.  Nathan had his vision appointment and we had to go back to get his glasses.  We will have to go back in 3 months to see how he is doing with his glasses.  Then he had his pediatrician appointment, got his blood tested, went back to see her a couple of weeks later, got the x-ray of his hip and now we have to see the neurologist.  Next week Nathan has his 6 month dentist appointment.  Parent-teacher conferences are that week, too, starting on Valentine's Day.  The following week I go for my 6 month dentist appointment.  Our 15th anniversary is on 2/17.  The dogs go on the 18th for their 6 month check up and teeth cleaning.  I hope things slow down once we get through all of this and get the taxes done!


No comments:

Post a Comment